LePage Still Wants To Ban Junk Food From Food Stamp Program

Dec 15, 2017

AUGUSTA, Maine - Maine's Republican governor says he plans to bring up his proposal to prevent the use of food stamps for junk food during a visit to Washington, D.C.
 
Gov. Paul LePage, who blames the sugar lobby for resistance to his proposal, planned to travel to Washington for a holiday party this week.
 
LePage told The Associated Press that even though Maine children and adults are dealing with obesity and type 2 diabetes, the federal government won't allow him to take soft drinks, chocolate bars and candy off the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program's list of allowed foods.
 
LePage had hoped a new presidential administration would listen. Federal officials earlier this year asked the Republican governor to provide more details.