Maine Woman Prepares Salad, Sticks Fork Into 3-Inch Lizard

Feb 6, 2018

KITTERY, Maine - A Maine woman who prepared a salad says she realized after a couple of bites her fork was stuck in a 3-inch lizard, minus the tail.
 
After vomiting and getting over her shock, Michelle Carr, a nurse from Kittery, Maine, said she feared she could have ingested harmful bacteria. A biologist friend believes she found a blue-bellied lizard from California.
 
Carr said she bought a bag of store-brand romaine lettuce at the Shaw's supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Jan. 26. The lettuce was distributed by a California company. A Shaw's spokeswoman said it notified the supplier.
 
Carr also called the state Health Department. A spokesman said because the lettuce was packaged and shipped from another state, any investigation would be conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.