For more than 30 years, the population in the Down East town of Machiasport has remained virtually unchanged, at about 1,100 residents. But that number could drop by more than 10 percent if state lawmakers agree to Gov. Paul LePage’s plan to close the Downeast Correctional Facility.
- Across the Aisle: Will Trump's Tax Returns Come Out After All?
- At Hearing, Democratic Lawmakers Decry Proposed Cuts to Health Public Programs
- Down East Communities Say They’d Be Harmed By Prison’s Closure
- Maine DHHS Chief Outlines $4.8 Million Plan for Opioid Treatment
- Collins Open to Requesting Trump's Tax Returns for Russia Probe