Courts and Crime

A judge set bail at $1 million cash for a Gorham man charged with kidnapping North Conway teen Abigail Hernandez and authorities are continuing to investigate the case.


ROCKLAND, Maine — Court officials say a former Maine resident convicted of trying to kill his wife by pushing her off a cliff will be sentenced on Sept. 25.

A Maine jury convicted 71-year-old Charles Black of six felonies on July 21. The top charge of attempted murder carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison. Officials say the sentencing date is tentative.

PORTLAND, Maine — A 30-year-old Lewiston man who pleaded guilty to a charge he forced a boy to perform a sex act that was streamed online has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Court documents indicate Ethan Hinkley streamed the video online as he forced a teenager to masturbate at knifepoint in July 2012.

A federal judge said she didn't feel a proposed 15-year sentence for Hinkley would adequately protect the public, so she added 10 years to the sentence on Monday. Defense lawyer J. Hilary Billings filed a notice of appeal on Tuesday.

PORTLAND, Maine — A former Maine State Police chief charged with sexually assaulting a 4-year-old relative has been denied permission to have supervised contact with four of his grandchildren.

A judge ruled Tuesday against 74-year-old Andrew Demers Jr. of New Gloucester. He pleaded not guilty in April.

Defense lawyer Walter McKee sought to amend the conditions of Demers' $5,000 cash bail. He said the children's parents supported the effort, but District Attorney Stephanie Anderson asked to keep the bail conditions intact.

RUMFORD, Maine — The Maine attorney general has ruled that a Rumford police officer was legally justified in using deadly force against a suicidal woman who was advancing on him with a knife.

Police responded after 25-year-old Jessica Byrn-Francisco reported to her counselor that she'd ingested drugs in an attempt to take her own life.

WATERVILLE, Maine — Police in Waterville, Maine, are investigating the stabbing of a 24-year-old man in the city's south end.

Police say they responded to a report of a person being stabbed at 9 p.m. Monday near the intersection of Carey Lane and Water Street. The man had been stabbed in the abdomen. Emergency workers transported the man by ambulance to Inland Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery.

Police say the victim is uncooperative and won't speak with investigators. Police say the stabbing appears to be the result of a personal dispute.

BANGOR, Maine — A Corinth, Maine, man is pleading guilty of possession of child pornography at U.S. District Court in Bangor.

FBI agents say 40-year-old David Livingston Brown emailed a video containing child pornography to an undercover agent in 2013. The bureau says Brown later admitted to sending and receiving images of child pornography by email and collecting hundreds of images and videos of child pornography over a period of several years.

Brown faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000. His sentencing has not been scheduled.

JACKMAN, Maine — A Quebec resident is pleading guilty to charges he illegally smuggled his wife into the United States earlier this month.

Court records say 40-year-old Pierre Poulin of St. Martin, Quebec used an all-terrain vehicle to drive his wife to a wooded area near the Canada-United States border and then drove his vehicle to the Jackman, Maine entry point intending to pick her up. Poulin's wife is a Brazilian citizen.

GARDINER, Maine — State police say two Maine men face child pornography charges after arrests in Fairfield and Gardiner.

Police say 59-year-old Barry Williams of Gardiner and 68-year-old Thomas Williams of Fairfield were arrested late last week. The men are not related and were both arrested in their homes.

ROCKLAND, Maine — Maine police say three teenagers have been charged with setting fire to multiple outhouses at a public beach in Rockland this month.

Police say the waterfront fires happened near the Scott Street Beach on July 16 and 25. They say they've charged 19-year-old Daniel Spear of South Thomaston, 18-year-old Philip Seekins of South Thomaston, and a 16-year-old Thomaston boy whose name is not being released because of his age. Spear and Seekins were charged with four counts of arson while the boy faces two charges.

WINSLOW, Maine — A Sidney man who was charged earlier this year with sex trafficking is in trouble again, this time for attending a wedding in Winslow.

The Kennebec Journal reports that 47-year-old Frederick Horne was handcuffed by police in the parking lot of Fort Halifax Park on Sunday. He was summoned to appear in court on two counts of violating conditions of his earlier release.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) _ The sentencing of a Vermont man convicted of wire fraud for submitting false invoices to a Maine town won't be scheduled until sometime after Aug. 22.

Craig Sanborn, formerly of Maidstone, was convicted in May and faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office says prosecutors are awaiting a pre-sentencing report about the case. The spokeswoman says Sanborn's sentencing date will be scheduled at a court appearance that won't happen sooner than Aug. 22.

CORNISH, Maine — The president of the Cornish Elementary School Parent Teacher Club has been charged with stealing about $3,000 from the group.

Authorities say 40-year-old Deanna Lovell of Parsonsfield was indicted by a grand jury on the Class C felony theft charge earlier this month.

AUBURN, Maine — The case of a Maine man charged with strangling a Lewiston man because he was angry he had informed on a friend is in the hands of the jury.

The Androscoggin County jury in the murder trial of Michael McNaughton will continue deliberations Friday after starting Thursday.

Prosecutors say the 26-year-old McNaughton used a garrote fashioned from a bicycle cable and wooden dowels to kill 20-year-old Romeo Parent in April 2013. Authorities say McNaughton wanted Parent dead because he had told police about their friend's involvement in a burglary.

SANFORD, Maine (AP) _ Sanford police are investigating an apparent attempt to abduct two 10-year-old girls in Sanford.

The Portland Press Herald reports that Sanford police say the failed abduction attempt occurred on Tuesday evening. Police told the paper one of the girls yelled at a man who attempted to abduct them and he then fled.

Police say the girls were walking around 6:20 p.m. when a black van pulled up next to them and the driver grabbed one of them and attempted to pull her into the van. The girls were unhurt.

Pages